As you’re scrolling through your social media feed or glued to all-things HGTV, then it might be easy to think updating your living space and moving into a new house is a quick, simple, and inexpensive process.
Hmmmm. If only that were true. But that doesn’t mean we have to worry.
The true question is, how can we take the guesswork out of home improvement? One Atlanta-based luxury design duo, Tavia Forbes and Monet Masters of Forbes Masters, has compiled a list of top home design truths that can help with everything from budgeting projects to planning and choosing furniture.
These are just a few of our favorite Forbes Masters home design truths to keep in mind:
- Small rooms don’t always need small furniture – Sometimes it’s easy to take the “less is more” principle too far. To a avoid that extreme, let yourself go bold with larger pieces and floor coverings, or try having the sofa “float” in the room, positioned away from the wall.
- Most projects will take at least three to six months – And that’s the timeframe after all the initial planning, which could take two to four weeks to simply get started. When you’re also ordering custom furniture, plan for longer — try to add at least another 12 weeks, or even up to 6 months with the current supply chain issues of 2022.
- Quality Products, Fast Turnaround, Low Cost: You can only have two – Many times, Forbes Masters’ clients will sacrifice the turnaround time for a lower cost. However, if “fast and cheap” is your goal, then a big box retailer like IKEA or Home Depot is your friend.
- Your Upper and Lower cabinets don’t have to match – Indeed, it’s okay to “color outside the lines” and shift gears in decorating by incorporating different cabinet bases and shelves, or even vary the countertops within the room (from island to breakfast nook, for example).
- Scrap the medicine cabinet – Sure, go ahead and remove the bathroom’s builder-grade mirror or medicine cabinet, and swap it out for a more vintage look or open shelving. You might like to add some drama to the space with well-positioned sconces or a pendant light
For the entire set of home design truths from Forbes and Masters, catch the complete listicle, here or follow them on Instagram, @forbesmasters.
At George Moving & Storage, we’re committed to providing quality service for our customers. If you’re trying to find movers in Pittsburgh, throughout southwestern Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia or eastern Ohio, we’d love to talk! We offer free estimates — either in-person or virtual, depending on your schedule. Just visit our website or give us a call today at 800-810-2635.
Subscribe to George Moving and Storage's Blog